Bra Fitting Brands -- The Inside Scoop What's New in Lingerie Women's Lingerie

The Ultimate Push-Up Bra – Does it Really Give a 2 Cup Size Increase?

There’s been quite a bit of advertising about Victoria’s Secret’s “Miraculous” Push-up bra.  Made by the Maidenform Company, the claim is that special padding lifts you up and out, thus adding up to 2 full cup sizes to your breasts.  And it does all of this with amazing comfort while keeping a natural shape.

Wow!  That’s quite a promise.  So, I went and bought one and put it to the test.  By way of explanation, a one inch increase in the circumference of your chest along the nipple line qualifies as a cup size increase.  So, to make their claim true, a total of 2 inches to the circumference needs to be achieved.

So, here are the results.  We used one of our 34B models. Her measurements are:

Band 34″

Bust 36″

First, we put her in the Spanx 216 Bra-llelujah contour bra.  These photographs show her shape.

spanx bra sidesoanx bra front

We then put her in Victoria’s Secret “Miraculous” bra.  Her measurements became:

Band 34″

Bust 38″

So, the claim is correct; her bust circumference increased by 2 inches.  And, I must say,  her cleavage and shape look natural and fabulous.

victorias secret maidenform bra sidevictorias secret maidenform bra front

As I mentioned earlier, this bra is made by the Maidenform company.  And, apparently a deal was cut whereby Victoria’s Secret got the exclusive for the first 6 months.  And boy, are they taking advantage.  The Victoria price is $48 for the solid colors and $52 for the prints.

The Maidenform version arrived late June 2010.  Their design does have some differences – a little more coverage in the cups, a more stabilizing center front, and a different back design to provide more support.  Whereas the Victoria’s Secret bra goes up to DD cup sizing, the Maidenform will only go up to D cups. And, the biggest difference of all will be the pricing. The Maidenform price will be just $34. That’s a 30% price savings!

Personally, I’m very impressed.  The Maidenform Company, in my opinion, is the current leader in innovative bra designs. They have done a super job here creating a look of more natural cleavage.

On a final note, I do want to point out that we tried to measure the thickness of the padding in this bra.  In some places, the padding is over 1 inch thick.  So, I have a bit of a concern with how to care for it.  You don’t want to stick it in the dryer, yet with all that padding, will it dry fast enough so that there won’t be a problem with mildew from line drying?  The jury is out on this one.

Maidenform & Victoria’s Secret have teamed up before on the Total Solution and Perfect One Bras.

Find Maidenform lingerie at HerRoom in these departments:
Bras
Panties

Follow HerRoom on Twitter for daily tips.

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

maurice
    January 8, 2010 at 1:56 am

thank you for the compliment! i am the CEO of Maidenform

robyne
    March 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

Love Tomima’s blog. Very informative and direct. I just purchased this bra … and then returned it. Not generous in fit, and it made my breasts appear like two big rocks. BTW, I am a DD, so ladies with large breasts will not be happy with this bra. Excessively padded.

nona
    May 27, 2010 at 11:49 am

FYI: Victoria’s Secret states that their bras should NEVER be put into a dryer b/c it will ruin the elastic in them… in addition, it’s best to gently hand wash these bras.

Heather
    July 10, 2010 at 7:16 am

I disagree with the “her cleavage and shape look natural” statement you said. Though I do understand this is a (extremely heavily!) padded bra and it’s not going to look like the real thing, it still gives that “Hi’ I’m wearing an overly padded bra” look. I have a friend (34A) who wears this bra every single day. I have not measured her so I don’t know how many inches it did increase her, but it actually makes her look about 3 cup sizes bigger! That must depend on breast tissue and your shape to start with though. And you can tell they’re not all real. Because with a bra that heavily padded, it gives a very stiff and slightly pointy appearance to the bottom and center of the breast (you can see it in that photo above too), and it also (on my friend) gives her that shelf look – where the padding ends and your upper ribcage begins, but sunken in. I for one detest this bra. I’m a natural 28G (34D in ill-fitting bras) so yes I would find this a bit ridiculous as I don’t need one. A little light padding is ok if you’re not as endowed, but don’t deceive people by making them think you’re 2-3 sizes bigger than you are. It’s not nice.

Olivia Kent
    July 10, 2010 at 8:51 am

To maurice, PLEASE consider producing your Chantilly Classic under-wire bras again! Those fabulous Maidenform bras were just exquisite; they fit and wore like no others! Please bring them back!!!!

Qwan
    September 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I don’t think its ‘not nice’ to make your boobs look bigger. who cares how it looks to others, I doubt it’ll upset them. Jeez. I’m a 28E so I know about having fairly sizeable boobs too, but I think it gives a nice shape than saggy bras that most people wear (although admittedly its no doubt because they’re the wrong size). however, that’s like saying people who wear tummy flattening things are not being ‘nice’ by doing what they see as improving their shape.
    its personal and never an offence. Your wording sucked, that’s all. -.-

Tara
    September 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Heather, do I detect a bit of feeling threatened? For those who are bountifully blessed, it is easy to look down upon the imperfect ways that we try to feel a bit more attractive. Filling out my 34A, so long as I dress thoughtfully, can go a long way to giving me a figure I’ve only dreamed of having. No more deceiving than surgery that so many opt for. I applaud Maidenform for their excellent product.

Bunny
    September 17, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Deceptive? Maybe. But I doubt it matters. The point is usually to attract guys. Who cares if it’s unnatural if it’s cleavage? Sure, maybe if you are less-endowed, it will be a disappointment when you’re not wearing this crazy lift, but you know that this is what most of them seem to like.

Heather
    October 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Qwan…”not nice” as in being deceptive. It’s no different than a guy stuffing a sock in his pants to make women think he is adequate. Although a bit petty to be more interested in a person because of their looks or assets, it is still deceiving. Your attitude sucks. I’m merely making a comment. There’s improving your shape…and then there’s making yourself into someone you’re not. Perhaps you’re one of those people who don’t see a difference between the two?

Tara, yeah…no. I’m not threatened at all. But if you knew the circumstances of this “friend” of mine…she has, in so many words, commented negatively on my bra size, as have a few other friends, because they thought I was as small as they were (I don’t wear tight clothes = baggy clothing makes you appear slimmer. They wear everything skin tight). So when I have a friend being critical to me that I don’t look my size, yet there she is wearing a bra that makes her look nearly my size…it’s a bit irritating. Making me jealous? Of what? No, it’s just an annoyance.

Times that I wish I were a guy…now. I can’t stand women that lash out at you because of a comment you make about a bra. I’m stating my opinion. This bra is ridiculous. Anyone else have a problem with that? Go eat a chocolate bar to calm your hormones.

Heather
    October 11, 2010 at 8:41 am

By the way…if you notice the front shot of this bra on the model above, it does not fit her correctly. You can see her breast tissue spilling out on the sides by her arms a little bit. Yet in the side shot that is not apparent. Wonder what they did to doctor it?

Her Spanx bra also doesn’t fit her very well. Why is the band high in the center front, but then sloping down at the sides?

Darla
    November 15, 2010 at 7:31 am

I’m a 32 barely A and I agree with Heather. This is ridiculous. I’m happy with small breasts and I am ashamed of victorias secret for promoting such poor self image in women. I am also very frustrated that the majority of small sized bras they carry in the stores are all pushups. I don’t have a problem with a pushup to fit better in a special occasion dress, but for every day I prefer not to walk around lying to myself and everyone around me.

Kristin
    December 27, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Shouldn’t we all as women be able to do those little cosmetic things that make us feel a bit more attractive without coming under such scrutiny. If you don’t like an extremely padded bra, don’t wear one. Some may think of it as “false advertising” but some may think the same of wearing makeup or high heels. I say, to each her own. I hate to think that I would be so harshly judged for wearing the bra of my choice.

Brandi
    January 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm

@ Kristin: i totally agree with you & all of these posts are a waste of time…why are people debating about a bra? your right, to each her own!

Krista
    January 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

And I miss the chantilly line, too, but you want to expand to slightly larger sizes like I am now I won’t find my size. They were lovely while they lasted.

Just a Girl
    January 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I see both sides of this argument. I have small breasts & yes at times I do where push up bra’s never this particular one and I understand those who find it great to have such a huge lift; more power to them as long as they’ have true self confidence and dont see it as such a need but then again when wearing certain outfits such as strapless shirts or dresses it feels good to be wearing such a “nice” bra. Thats just my opinion, dont take anything personal : )

Nicole
    February 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I just wanted to say that before having my 2 sons I had wore a size 32d and now I’m a 34b. So this bra has given me the ability to fill out my old shirts and feel confident like I used to. The point of any bra is to look better so what’s the difference? My husband is against breast augmentation and this is a great solution. Thank you maidenform and Victorias secret for letting me safely have my old size back. 🙂

jenny
    April 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm

@kristin i agree with her too because its only a bra and everyone have their own preferences. also everyone decide what type of bra they want to wear. lets keep it this way if u like to wear the padded bra, then wear it. if not then dont wear it. to be honest with u im a 34A and i wear VS padded bra’s and i like them i mean its not like getting plastic surgery. its just a bra that everyone chooses to wear

jenny
    April 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

well not everyone. its that people choose to wear

Nikky
    June 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm

To each his own. Why does once care so much if someone’s bra is padded, lifting, is blue, black or green. There is nothing ridiculous about the bra. If a man wanna put a sock in his pants to feel confident; it’s ok. I am happily married.. I wear all sorts of bras. Padded, not padded, no bra! I feel we women need to encourage one another, stop nit picking and being so critical!

Cam
    July 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Does Victoria Secret Have Size 32 A In Bra Size Or 34 ???

anon
    July 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

to heather:you shouldn’t take out your frustrations on others because your “friends” are downers. There is nothing wrong w/wearing a padded bra. &there’s nothing wrong w/having large boobs. If they’re small?great. you have range, you can play artist w/your boobs. (lol) If they’re big? Great. you have what most girls desire (not necessarily Long for, but “plump boobs” doo look quite attractive lol,and i’m a straight young woman.)
    Women do w/e enhances their beauty(makes Them feel good). wearing a padded bra/makeup/flat ironing your wavy/curly hair. All in the same category. It is not as serious as “deceiving” ppl.
    When u search for a bra,u look in the mirror&buy what’s appealing to Your eyes,u don’t walk around&conduct a survey,so others’ don’t hold much importance in the decision making process.(for some)

(PS. my bff has big boobs&im small&we love both of our boobs Lol! Get w/the program girls!Support:)) haha

Kirsten
    February 10, 2012 at 7:51 am

I love these bras. I own 2 of them. Personally I love them because I have broad shoulders and wide hips. When I purchase clothes I by them to fit the widest part of me, these bras give me the size I need to fill out my clothes so I don’t look like a small girl playing dress up. Yes I could alter my entire wardrobe to fit without this bra, but that would cost me a small fortune , this bra is a lot less expensive.

Shelly
    July 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Maidenform has great products and lots of celebrities at the Academy awards are outfitted with their bras and shapwear. Anna Paquin is a huge fan and insists on wearing MF on the set of True Blood- pretty cool, it’s my fave show.

mytbean
    August 11, 2014 at 5:51 am

I love this bra. Like a lot of women, I’m aging and with age I’m losing fat in places I want it and gaining it places I don’t. At one point I was a D cup, then, after intentional weight loss I went down to a B. In some outfits, where the fabric is heavier or too snug, my normal bras don’t provide the support I want. I feel less than perky in some things and this bra is amazing at providing this incredible, stable and comfortable shelf. Amazing cleavage. Do I wear it every day? No. Does it look like I had a boob job when I do? Depends on the outfit. Am I faking it? Sometimes. 😉 But not for the person I care most about – my husband – who happens to know what the natural me looks like under that padding. He’s happy either way.