Bra Fitting Intimate Wisdom Lingerie Dos and Don'ts Women's Lingerie

Breast Separation – It Matters

Not all breasts are separated the same.  And, I don’t think most women know this.  Did you know that some women have touching or “kissing” breasts where there is no space between the breasts?  There are other women with rather wide separation – more than 3 finger widths in fact.   So, why does this even matter?  Because breast separation can have a huge impact on how a bra fits.

I think one of the most overlooked feature of any bra is the center panel or center gore. There are wide design variations.  And, how this piece is shaped, sized and attached to the cups effects how a bra will fit.

breast separationLet’s say you have touching breasts. You are one of those lucky ladies who always gets a center cleavage line.  However, a traditional center panel will probably not touch or “tack” on your sternum.  It can’t because there is no room between your breasts for its resting spot.  Consequently, your bra will look like it doesn’t fit – the center panel and wires could bend out forward, or your center panel could be resting away from your sternum.

The solution here is to find a bras where the center panel is low, or where the bra does not even have a center panel. Also look for bras where the underwires are short in the center and do not come up very high.  Plunge bras and some demi bras have these shorter underwires. A halter bra is also a good style because such a bra tends to be designed to push breasts together anyway.

At the other extreme are wide-set breasts.  These are breast where there is more than 3 fingers width of breast separation between breasts.  Because of this, touching cleavage is pretty much impossible.  And, underwires can be uncomfortable because they are spaced too close to the center and will pinch the breast tissue under the arms.

breast separationbreast separationIn the case of wide-set breasts, the center panel again needs to be scrutinized. If your breasts are wide-set, chances are you have never been able to create cleavage, and you have sometimes put on a bra that doesn’t catch your whole breast under the arms. The wider your center panel, the better fit you will achieve.  Wire-free bras will be comfortable.  Push-up bras where the pads are both at the bottom and side of the cups will give wide-set breasts the best breast fullness.  And triangle style bras and bathing suit tops will probably look the best.

My point in this post is to let you know that there is more to fitting a bra than just knowing your size.  Based on your breast separation, you will have more success with some styles if you know how far apart your breasts are.

Find bra styles to fit your shape at HerRoom in these departments:
Bras

Follow HerRoom on Twitter for daily tips.

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

Sharm
    October 25, 2011 at 11:33 am

Tomima, I wonder if you could make any suggestions for specific bras that fall under either of these categories? For me specifically, I have a large cup size and more wide-set breasts.

Another issue I have is that I just feel so spread out all the time. It’s as you say, because I’m more wide-set, but does anyone make any kind of accessory that you can put over a bra to pull them together and make them feel less bouncy or spread out or whatever? I just always look so big because my bra size is big, but my frame isn’t. I wish I could make them look smaller and more together!

Sid
    November 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This is so true. For years I didn’t understand why no bras ever seemed to sit right, no matter what cup or band size. I just recently realized it’s because my breasts are so close together they almost touch and there’s nowhere for the gore to sit. Now I know to look for styles with close-set cups and ironically, push-up bras, which I’ve always avoided in the past. A style that would normally push the breasts together actually fits me comfortably since they’re already pushed together naturally.

Beth
    February 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thank you so much for this information. I’m an odd size anyway (40B), and my breasts are wide-set. It’s so disheartening to walk into a store and know that it won’t have a single bra in my size. Your information makes it SO MUCH EASIER to shop for bras online with more confidence. Any more suggestions you have for people in my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Vlatka
    March 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

This explains a lot! So I have touching breasts but I still need help.
    I live in a country that does not import almost any of the labels on herrom. And those that come to Croatia dont go below 75 (34 band) or european f cup (which is E in uk i think)! At best. So I’m basically not even sure I’m wearing the right size as I type.
    I would appreciate your help.
    I started ordering bras online but had 3/3 strikes so far.
    The only bra I can buy in Croatia that remotely fits is Chantelle’s Rive Gauche in 70h (32 h or 32 ff) http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3281-rive-gauche-3-part-cup-bra.shtml

This bra is very stretchy so it fits well, but any moulded or padded bra in the same chantelle size is too small.

I orderd the curvy kate princess in 32 g (which is, according to charts, supposed to be a size bigger than chantelle’s 32 ff) and the cup was too small!! Lepels 32 ff was also too small.
    I just discovered herrom and am thrilled, but I really need some expert guidance cause the shipping fees are killing me 🙁 I measure 73 cm in the rib cage and 98 cm over my chantelle bra.

Sophie
    May 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hi, I was looking for something like this and I finally found it! My problem is that I have reasonably sized touching breasts and my bras don’t fit because my areola peeks out. Bras seems small because they’re usually made for breasts that are slightly wide apart and mine are close together. I used to wear 34B but had to change to 34C because they were “too small”. Even with 34C bras, I have to constantly pull up the cups to hide my areola. Do you know what bras have slightly rounder at the center bra cups or any other suggestions for bra types? Thanks 🙂

TE
      June 19, 2012 at 9:13 am

In your comments you don’t mention what bra style you are wearing. My guess is you are wearing balconette or demi bras. A quick solution is to select a more full coverage bra that would cover more of your upper breast tissue. This would solve your problem.

Ai
    August 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Why haven’t we women risen up as consumers and demanded that the manufacturers provide us with the measurements we need for a good bra? Shoemakers tells us if a shoe is Narrow/Medium/Wide. Why not a bra? Just ONCE I would like to be able to search by 32/40/Narrow and come up with a result that doesn’t try to relocate my nipples to my armpits or try to smash me down into a pancake.

Leah
    January 26, 2014 at 7:14 am

This is good information, but what I need are brand/style recommendations. I have wide-set breasts and would like to find bras with wide center panels. I don’t want to achieve a vertical cleavage line. As I age, that becomes a worse and worse idea.